Why is airbrush tanning better than the tanning bed?
Summer is right around the corner. Time to make sure we are hitting the gym and getting our bodies ready for shorts and swimsuits, and that includes being tan for most of us. I get it; a nice golden tan is beautiful and helps to minimize the appearance of imperfections on the body. Cellulite, veins, uneven skin color, you name it, a tan will help it all look better. But, there is a right and a wrong way to get that nice golden, kissed by the sun color we all love. The fact is tan skin is DAMAGED skin.
Tanning beds and baking outside for hours in the sun will lead to wrinkles, age spots, premature aging, and even skin cancer. Just one session in a tanning bed can increase your risk of developing skin cancer, even melanoma, significantly. Melanoma is the most lethal form of skin cancer and is highly prevalent among women aged 25 to 29. In the U.S. alone, according to the American Cancer Society, this form of cancer is second only to breast cancer. Tanning beds use UV radiation, which can cause melanoma. Worldwide, there are more skin cancer cases due to indoor tanning than lung cancer cases due to smoking.
Other Risks include:
- Burns and irritation: Too much UVB can cause skin burns and skin inflammations.
- Premature aging: UV rays penetrate deep into the skin, depleting collagen and the dermis’ connective tissue, causing the skin to lose elasticity, become leathery, rough, and get sunspots.
- Eye Damage: Artificial UV rays are responsible for inflammations of the cornea, causing cataracts, conjunctivitis, and even ocular cancer.
- Allergic Reaction: Reactions occur by erythema, blisters, and itching.
So, what can you do to get a healthy golden glow without the damage? Consider sunless tanning products. Many good options can give you that bronzed look. Nowadays, self-tanners on the market are formulated with high-end formulations for specific skin types, including vitamins to keep your skin healthy and hydrated. Here are the top reasons why you should be using sunless tanning.
- Less risk of Skin cancer
- Your skin will not age your skin faster.
- You can get tan much faster and immediately
- Easy to apply and maintain
- Perfect for all skin tones
- It can make you look thinner and hide imperfections
I love a good airbrush tan by an airbrush artist/technician. They can give you a nice, even flawless glow without being streaky or orange. They can also work with your skin tone and customize the pigment to better match your natural skin tone. If you’re in East Texas, reach out to our retail partner Azalea House to get a safe, natural radiant tan. My go-to in DFW is The Bronzetique.
My favorite self-tanner is TAN-LUXE drops. You apply a few drops into your moisturizer or serum into the palm of your hand, then evenly apply to the face or body.
St Tropez Self Tan Bronzing Mousse, a foaming self-tanner, is also easy to apply.
Those are just a few; there are many options. Ditch the tanning beds and go sunless. Your skin will thank you and continue to look young and radiant.