Is there a difference between dry and dehydrated skin, and does it matter? The answer is yes. Read on to find out the difference and which one your skin is, and how to treat it. Dry skin is a skin type, and dehydrated skin is a skin condition.
Dehydrated skin is a condition that happens when there is a lack of water in the skin. Skin dehydration can happen with all skin types; even people with oily or combination skin can experience dehydration. Dehydrated skin often looks and feels like dry skin and can be dull and itchy. It also shows signs of premature aging, like wrinkles and loss of firmness. It is caused by external elements, wind, sun, seasonal changes, unhealthy diet (caffeine and alcohol), and lifestyle. These deplete your skin's water content.
Signs of Dehydrated Skin
- Itchy patches
- Dull and dark under-eye circles
- fine lines
- Pinch a small amount of skin on your cheek, chest, or the back of your hand.
- If your skin snaps back, you are most likely not dehydrated.
- If it takes a few moments to bounce back, you're dehydrated.
When treating your dehydrated skin, it is essential to hydrate your skin from the inside out as well as treating it topically.
You need water-rich products for more hydration. Dehydration can send skin into overdrive trying to protect itself, resulting in tightness, oiliness, and breakouts. Water-rich products help rehydrate and balance skin.
The terms "dry" and "dehydrated" are often used interchangeably, but they're not the same. Dry skin is a skin type characterized by a chronic underproduction of sebum or oil. Dry skin is a skin type (just like oily or combination). If you have dry skin, you lack oil and lipids, which could result from genetics, and appears flaky and rough and makes you feel dry all over, including your hands and scalp.
Your skin relies on oil to hold moisture. If you experience flakiness, itchiness, and irritation, you're likely to have dry skin. Managing dry skin requires restoring the skin's surface lipids. You can do this with moisturizers, particularly emollients (which typically contain oils to smooth and soften the skin) and occlusive ingredients (which create a barrier to prevent water loss).
Care for Dry and Dehydrated Skin
- Cleanse with a gentle cleanser that is free of harsh ingredients and artificial fragrances. Try our Pumpkin Refresh Cleanse.
- Apply a tonic. Tonics helps to maximize hydration, replenishes moisture, and soothe the skin. Find this with my Calendula Soothing Toner.
- Use a Hyaluronic Acid Serum. Your skin naturally produces Hyaluronic Acid, but supplementing through skincare is vital. As a humectant, this powerful ingredient helps bind and retain moisture, keeping skin soft and plump. Hexapeptide Revitalizing Serum packed with HA and peptides.
- Protect your skin barrier with decadent antioxidant treatments designed to strengthen and nourish your skin. Our Lipid-Primrose Intense Creme is packed with ceramides and peptides to hydrate and restore. Our Azulene Treatment Cream is derived from Chamomile; Azulene has been used traditionally for its calming properties making this cream ideal for those who experience occasional sensitivity or have irritation-prone skin. Calming Stoneroot extract, Jojoba, and Avocado oils offer soothing hydration and nourishment to inflamed or sensitive skin. Antioxidant Vitamins A and E aid in the fortification of sensitive or fragile skin.
- To keep under-eye dryness at bay, using a moisturizing eye cream is vital. We recommend our Peptide Restoring Eye Complex.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol; they are the two of the worst offenders for dehydrated skin. Drink lots of water!!
Learn more about Stormie, the visionary behind the esteemed skincare line, "Beautiful by Storm." With a deep-rooted passion for skincare and a keen understanding of aesthetic nuances, Stormie has crafted a range of products that are a testament to excellence, innovation, and the art of enhancing natural beauty. Beyond her successful skincare line, she is also the proud owner of "Beautiful Aesthetics" located in Frisco, TX. At this state-of-the-art medspa, Stormie and her dedicated team offer a plethora of advanced treatments, ensuring clients leave feeling rejuvenated, confident, and truly beautiful. With a holistic approach and a commitment to excellence, Stormie's endeavors in the world of aesthetics have undoubtedly set new benchmarks in the industry.